setting the scene
- you come back to your apartment with ingredients to make your infamous triple chocolate cookies 🍪
- you ride the elevator up with a few of your neighbors 🛗
- not knowing anyone’s name, you politely nod your head and stand in silence while looking at the floor 💀
- you walk into your kitchen to start baking and realize you forgot to pick up eggs 🥚
- if only you knew your neighbors well enough to ask if they had any extra 🤷🏼♂️
- we hardly know the people living steps away from us; this week’s company provides a solution to connect you to others living under the same roof
in a sentence
OneRoof is a mobile platform that connects neighbors living in the same building
- connects: join chat rooms, plan and attend building events
- building: every building has a unique access code and personalized community features
bulleted version: similar to how your office building has a Slack with channels for teams and interest groups, OneRoof provides a platform to connect the entire apartment building 🌇
- industry: urban development, proptech, community building, social media
- headquarters: Brooklyn, NY 🍕
- year founded: 2020
- company size: <10 employees 💼
- investors: General Catalyst, GroundBreak Ventures, Third Sphere, Script Capital, Kleiner Perkins, Dream Machine, Pentas Ventures, URBAN-X
- amount raised: $1.3m post-seed funding
- business model: ad revenue
- are you a founder looking to build an impressive pitch deck? or an investor helping to refine a portco’s deck?
- check out Base Templates, the affordable, easy-to-use pitch deck template that offers 300+ components to make a customized, beautifully designed deck
- improve your pitch deck today
what we like
- 🤝 friendship seekers: in a post-COVID world, social media apps that help users meet new friends are trending
- 📈 positioned for growth: OneRoof has the potential to scale in urban environments where word of mouth spreads quickly through friends, buildings, and neighborhoods
- ♻️ rethinking solo living: by helping apartment residents connect over common needs and interests, OneRoof creates opportunities to make living more communal and resourceful
- 🦸🏽♀️ self-regulating: OneRoof relies on super neighbors to onboard and engage tenants; how will the company ensure that apartment communities stay active on the platform?
- 👣 big tech: what’s stopping well-funded social giants like Meta or Snap from flattening the competition and replicating these community features?
- 🔌 social disconnect: will age diversity in apartment buildings limit adoption in certain areas and impact user growth?
- Selin Sonmez & Nikos Georgantas (prev. co-founders @ Knock Knock City; acquired by Luggage Hero)
why OneRoof: with over 1k apartment buildings on the platform and 40k monthly active users averaging 4.2 daily sessions, OneRoof is building an innovative way to connect local communities 🧱
what do you think about this startup?
we want to hear from you!